"Miss Martha, you are so weird!" "I know . . . isn't it wonderful!?"

Not the bath blog, yet.

It’s coming, faithful readers, have patience.  🙂

But, in other news, I’ve had a terribly productive day.  I woke up, almost unable to move (walked the dogs almost 4 miles yesterday, uphill both ways, of course) from back pain.  I found (in my stash of previously prescribed drugs) some painkillers.  I took half of one and “made morning” for the dogs while I let Kenny sleep in.

Then . . . I did what I realized NEEDED to be done last night, when I had a load of clothes in the dryer for about 3 hours, and it was still damp.  My dryer stopped shutting off automatically several months ago, but I just assumed that this was because my basement appliances are, shall we say, vintage.

Last week, I cleaned out the dryer, the space that exists when you remove the lint trap.  It was packed, to the point that it prevented the trap from going all the way back in when replaced.  So, I took care of that.

Then, last night, I thought that perhaps in my cleaning frenzy last week, I had dislodged some lint that had now become clogged in the vent.

So, my back hurts terribly, cripplingly, so let’s move the dryer.  (Kenny’s still asleep . . . but these things are best left done by me alone anyway.)

I get out the shop vac, climb on top of the washer, and dislodge the vent from the back of the dryer.  I vacuum out the bottom and back of the dryer then get to work on the vent hose.

I put the vacuum hose in, and it stops.  Clogged.  With lint.  My shop vac was clogged by the lint, just a couple of inches into my dryer hose.

Fire hazard anyone?  The entire hose was PACKED with lint, right up to the outside of the house (I brushed from outside, wearing my jammies, too).  One more load of laundry could have burned my house down.  This is not an exaggeration.

Then I did laundry . . . wonder of wonders . . . the dryer now STOPS when the clothes are dry . . . and it’s taking MUCH less time to dry.

Let me also take a moment to point out that we bought the house in October of 2007 . . . and this is the first time I’ve cleaned that.  I am truly lucky that we haven’t had a fire.  Granted, I NEVER run the dryer when I’m out of the house.  That’s because when I was young, one our neighbors had a dryer fire that virtually gutted their house while they were out.  So, my paranoia may have finally paid off . . . now I just have to remember to KEEP cleaning that thing out.

This is my PSA for today.

So, I’m pooped . . . but it’s a good thing.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: